"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture." - Thelonious Monk

Dec 12, 2010

LAST FLOURISH OF 2010 - Part 1

I've been totally awash with new and amazing trio records recently that I just can't sustain the three paragraph review any longer. I don't actually think I was much of a writer in any case. So from now on and for the foreseeable future I will just post my recommendations with the CD cover and some short text. If the album appears here it means I'd recommend buying it sight unseen/unheard and ask you to just revel in the TRIO RIOT that seems to be pervading the planet. Piano, bass, drums = nirvana.



AARON GOLDBERG TRIO - Home

Beautifully rendered trio setting with added tenor sax from the divine and very much in demand Mark Turner on several tracks. Measured but beautiful and Goldberg is not afraid to rock either with renditions of Monk and Wonder that will enthral.



BENJAMIN SCHAEFER TRIO - Roots and Wings

When will the German trio invasion end? Just when you thought they ruled the roost along comes the gentle but affirmative Benjamin to mix it all up again and set the bar even higher. Sublime.



CESARE PICCO - Light Line

It doesn't come more romantic or angelic than this. I saw him at the Hanoi Opera House this year when he had everyone spellbound with his weaving of light. Highly recommended for anyone who needs to transcend the here and now at least once every 24 hours.



YARON HERMAN TRIO - Follow the white rabbit

I've been a fan of Yaron Herman for a while and was waiting for him to calm down and find his stride. This album is replete with the potential that tells us that we are indeed in the company of one of the new giants of jazz piano and trio.

No comments:

Post a Comment