"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture." - Thelonious Monk

Dec 14, 2010

LAST FLOURISH OF 2010 - Part 5



DJANGO BATES TRIO - Beloved Bird

Had to wait until I was I the UK to buy this but it was worth it. Never heard such beautiful renditions of the Bird canon. The close to 20 minute Ah-Leu-Cha is quite possibly Django's most daring and beautiful musical statement thus far in his illustrious career.



PETER ROSENDAL TRIO - Pica-pau

New latin flavours from one of my favourite european trios - a mature and strident disk bringing in guitar and clarinet making this one of the pleasant surprises of 2010 and a wonderful addition to my ever growing Peter Rosendal collection.



JASON MORAN TRIO - Ten

Towering release from Moran that will top many 'best of 2010' lists for jazz and music in general such is his scope, appeal and intention. This really rocks in rhythm.



GERALD CLAYTON TRIO - two-shade

I was lucky not to miss this great energising disk (thanks to the jazz breakfast). At tempo or funking it up, Clayton and his super tight trio are a new thoughtful swinging addition to the genre.



HELGE LIEN TRIO - Hello troll

The master of time and touch, Lien's new disk is yet another musical treat from Norway to add to his ever growing collection of top draw trio making.




VIJAY IYER TRIO - Historicity

How wonderful to discover Vijay this year and enter his unique musical world. Important new sounds in music that you must check out if you haven't already.



ANDRE MEHMARI TRIO - Lachrimae

My tears do indeed flow at the extreme beauty of Brazilian Mehmari and his exquisite touch - my new and latest discovery I'm so happy to have found to make 2010 possibly the richest seam of trio music of my life so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment